History of the house
Bürgerhof Wetzlar – family-owned business since 1938
May 4th 1938, Grandfather Emil Becker got the permission to “run a pub with all kind of beverages, a garden and a skittle alley.”
The certificate also documents two guest rooms.
The apple wine cellar – which became the former fundament of the business – is not mentioned.
In March 1963, Erna, Emil Becker's daughter, and her husband returned to Germany after a stay abroad of several years.
They bought the house and the pub, renovated it lavishly and guided a prosperous cider pub with self-pressed cider.
In 1968, the „Gut Stubb“ decorated in Biedermeier-style in the upper floor was opened and is currently used as breakfast room of the hotel.
In 1974, the house next door was bought.
The former city residence of Freiherr of Zwirlein and future Königlich Preußische Grenzpostamt (Royal Prussian border post office), built in the 18th century, was in a very bad state.
After the demolition of three extensions and the rear part of the main building, the reconstruction began. During the excavation, the old city's main well and ruins of the apparently burnt down well house were exposed.
The preservation of the half-timbered construction and the valuable stucco ceiling from 1736 (today the Blue Salon and Cabinet) were decisive for the planning of the future hotel with 47 rooms and a restaurant with 120 seats.
In 1990, the neighboring house on the other side was bought.
A new building with 15 more rooms including a garage level and a winter garden was built.
Since the turn of the millennium, the third generation took over.
The granddaughter Karin Keller, née Moser, resumed the administration of the family-owned business as managing partner.